Re: Having a iSCSI Flag while Installation

On 7/16/07, Peter Jones <pjones@xxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Which is why this scanning needs to be done through the ACPI tables, as
we've previously discussed.

iBFT is not  a part of  ACPI  table  and  is  somewhere  in system  memory  between  512k  and  1MB.   To  find the iBFT,  ACPI guys should scan the memory from 512k to 1MB.   But ACPI guys argument is " No, OS should not be scanning for this table, the BIOS should do it(or know it) and should enter the appropriate address in the ACPI RSDT/XSDT for consumption by the OS.
The entire point of the ACPI table structure is to get the OS out of the business of scanning magic locations for magic tables.
If the BIOS doesn't enter the location of the IBFT into the ACPI tables, then we simply can't help you."

So the other alternative left out is have a small piece of
kernel code which does this scanning as a part of open-iscsi.  so for that reason i am asking for a flag something like "iSCSI".

> I am suggesting to have a global flag called iSCSI while installing(like
> other flags "askmethod", "updates"),  so when installing the user should
> tell the Anaconda explicitly to get the values from iBFT.

There's no real point in a flag, I don't think.  Once we can find iBFT
information through ACPI, the plan is that if the iBFT is present and
has data, we simply use it by default.  You still have to be able to
change the values (or specify your own in e.g. kickstart), but by
default we'll just use the info from the firmware.

--
   Peter