Re: Design Questions

On Monday 11 December 2006 16:53, John Summerfield wrote:
> I choose email clients based on what I want. I don't like Evolutiion,
> sylpheed not that obviously available for the systems I use - I see it's
> un RHL 7.3, but I rarely used that now. The "email" button on RH systems
> generally starts up Evolution (even when it's not installed!).

Sylpheed is in Fedora Extras, which is enabled for every Fedora install since
FC4~.  If it's not in RHEL now, it will most likely show up in EPEL, Extra
Packages for Enterprise Linux.

> If you think Thunderbird's broken, you're in a good place to have if
> "fixed." Ditto kmail. Until those support "reply to list" easily, don't
> even think about expecting users to use it.

I didn't say Kmail was broken, kmail does this easily (and its one of the
reasons why kmail is my client of choice).  As far as thunderbird, the bug
has been filed upstream, however upstream seems not interested in fixing
this.  RHEL has chosen Evolution as the default mailer, and since it supports
this there is little interest in spending more time on Thunderbird to hack it
in, especially if upstream won't take it.

> > I find myself replying off list many times.  In fact, I probably should
> > have for this message.
>
> I would not have welcomed it.

That's too bad, this conversation is very off topic for this list.

>    I all too often see private messages hitting the public
>
> > list because somebody didn't notice that reply-to was munged, and when
> > they asked their client to reply to the sender, the client didn't do what
> > was expected due to the munging.  This I think is far more dangerous then
> > the opposite.
>
> If you're on a list (as I was) where people promote their products &
> services, and solicit replies, then the list should set reply-to to the
> author. Mailman supports that.
>
> _This_ is not that kind of list, it's a discussion list where everyone
> is already subscribed.

soliciting replies isn't the only 'dangerous' thing.  Private messages,
private discussions, flames, etc.. many of these things could/should happen
off-list.  We (Fedora) are starting to standardize the settings across all
the lists we host.  Whether or not this particular list falls under that
standardization is left to be seen, but I'm pretty sure that reply-to munging
will not be part of that standard.

But I digress, this is _really_ off topic for this list, and discussion can
continue in my inbox if you so care.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora