Re: Design Questions

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Monday 11 December 2006 16:25, John Summerfield wrote:

Until all email clients RH ships support that, it's nonsense. Thus far,
I've not seen a way to use it in any email client I regularly use. RH
does not ship either email client the author mentions.

That document is the opinion of one person. If the RFCs he mentions
support his view, he should mention them, quote them. As he says,
they're lengthy and boring documents.

How often do you want to reply off-list? I almost never do, when I'm on
a discussion list. The functionality I want is the ability to reply
directly to the list most easily.

Evolution, Kmail, and sylpheed support a reply-list function. Thunderbird I think is still braindead in this department.

I choose email clients based on what I want. I don't like Evolutiion, sylpheed not that obviously available for the systems I use - I see it's un RHL 7.3, but I rarely used that now. The "email" button on RH systems generally starts up Evolution (even when it's not installed!).

If you think Thunderbird's broken, you're in a good place to have if "fixed." Ditto kmail. Until those support "reply to list" easily, don't even think about expecting users to use it.

I find myself replying off list many times. In fact, I probably should have for this message.

I would not have welcomed it.

  I all too often see private messages hitting the public
list because somebody didn't notice that reply-to was munged, and when they asked their client to reply to the sender, the client didn't do what was expected due to the munging. This I think is far more dangerous then the opposite.

If you're on a list (as I was) where people promote their products & services, and solicit replies, then the list should set reply-to to the author. Mailman supports that.

_This_ is not that kind of list, it's a discussion list where everyone is already subscribed.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait