Re: Design Questions

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Monday 11 December 2006 16:53, John Summerfield wrote:

I choose email clients based on what I want. I don't like Evolutiion,
sylpheed not that obviously available for the systems I use - I see it's
un RHL 7.3, but I rarely used that now. The "email" button on RH systems
generally starts up Evolution (even when it's not installed!).

Sylpheed is in Fedora Extras, which is enabled for every Fedora install since FC4~. If it's not in RHEL now, it will most likely show up in EPEL, Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux.

I never look past the install media. Unless extras is on my DVD, I will not install it. It takes too long over modem.

If you think Thunderbird's broken, you're in a good place to have if
"fixed." Ditto kmail. Until those support "reply to list" easily, don't
even think about expecting users to use it.

I didn't say Kmail was broken, kmail does this easily (and its one of the reasons why kmail is my client of choice). As far as thunderbird, the bug

I used kmail for some years; I don't recall that it did this then, but things do change. I quit using it because I decided I prefer the Mozilla/Thunderbird way of handing read mail and threads.

has been filed upstream, however upstream seems not interested in fixing

Try Debian's icedove. If you can persuade Debian it's broken, the maintainers will almost certainly fix it. Debian is very big on compliance.

this. RHEL has chosen Evolution as the default mailer, and since it supports
Did I mention I really do not like Evolution?

this there is little interest in spending more time on Thunderbird to hack it in, especially if upstream won't take it.

I find myself replying off list many times.  In fact, I probably should
have for this message.

I would not have welcomed it.

That's too bad, this conversation is very off topic for this list.

The management of a list is never OT for the list. You and I could come to a private agreement, but unless you or I manages the list, it won't change a thing.

  I all too often see private messages hitting the public

list because somebody didn't notice that reply-to was munged, and when
they asked their client to reply to the sender, the client didn't do what
was expected due to the munging.  This I think is far more dangerous then
the opposite.

If you're on a list (as I was) where people promote their products &
services, and solicit replies, then the list should set reply-to to the
author. Mailman supports that.

_This_ is not that kind of list, it's a discussion list where everyone
is already subscribed.

soliciting replies isn't the only 'dangerous' thing. Private messages, private discussions, flames, etc.. many of these things could/should happen

Flames should always go to /dev/null. There is no point in offending someone.

If you have a correction to something I say, it's almost always preferable to send it to the list so that others (including those who read the archives) will benefit from your superior wisdom.

When I get a round tuit, I plan to make it impossible for people to reply to directly me, or even to get the email address I receive mail on. The mail address I write _from_ will simply not accept mail from sources other than the list hosts I use, and possibly not from those except when I subscribe.

It's not to stopoff-list replies, it's to stop spamharvesters from subscribing to these lists (they do, previous editions of my spambait addresses get mail) and getting my address.

off-list. We (Fedora) are starting to standardize the settings across all the lists we host. Whether or not this particular list falls under that standardization is left to be seen, but I'm pretty sure that reply-to munging will not be part of that standard.

But I digress, this is _really_ off topic for this list, and discussion can continue in my inbox if you so care.