Re: testing (Anaconda) changes?

Jeroen Janssen wrote:
> Hello,
<snip>
> I would like to 'patch' some of the anaconda files and test the
> changes in an easy way.
>
> I've done the following in the past for testing:
> * changes rpm and rpm-python were tested locally on my Fedora Core 6
> machine, when everything worked ok, I updated the packages in the
> "installation repo" and generated a new iso file.
>
> * changes in rpmUtils and yum were tested locally, and during install
> with an updates.img using the "updates" kernel option during boot from
> CD.
>
> However, it seems that updates to anaconda itself (kickstart.py,
> dispatch.py, etc) are not possible from the updates.img (at least from
> looking at the anaconda script it only allows to update items for
> "rhpl", "yum", "rpmUtils", "urlgrabber", "pykickstart", "rhpxl",
> "pirut").

I believe you have to be careful where the stage one installer is
picking up the updates from.  It can be a floppy, updates.img in the
base iso1 directory or the RHupdates/ directory. Check the
docs/install-methods.txt file in the anaconda source.  You have to watch
for some variations between NFS, NFS ISO and ftp/http methods.

This is from 9x documentation.
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/ch-bootopts.html
"updates

"This command prompts you to insert a floppy diskette containing updates
(bug fixes). It is not needed if you are performing a network
installation and have already placed the updates image contents in
RHupdates/ on the server.

> Is there an easy way to test changes to anaconda (without building a
> new ISO) that I can use?
>
> I did some testing with xen in the past, but I haven't found out
> if/how I can specify my own anaconda to be used. Is it possible to use
> a custom anaconda for xen installs?

This sounds doable but I don't know.

> I noticed the anaconda --test option, but I can not find documentation
> on exactly how/what it does (does it create partitions? install RPMs?
> etc)
<snip>

The --test option is supposed to keep from imaging your hard drive while
allowing you to test anaconda changes.  A few notes from my anaconda
archive are listed below.  The dates will help you look through the
mailing list more effectively.

Regards,
Greg

Paul Nasrat
21-APR-2006
anaconda --test -m nfs:/FC5

I'd expect

/fedora/base
/fedora/RPMS
/fedora/repodata

Ali Majdzadeh 01-JUN-2006
./anaconda --test -m hd://hda14:vfat/ --rootpath /home/somayeh/fedora-orig

Paul Nasrat 02-SEP-2004
You can test your anaconda in part using:

./anaconda --test -m nfs://export/fc3t1/

where /export/fc3t1 should be replaced with a path to an install tree on
the local disk (the nfs is confusing here in test mode).

The full test would require building a package and install tree - or you
can also test changes using an updates.img or dropping files into
RHupdates.  See the docs subdir for details of what applies in which
install method.