Re: testing (Anaconda) changes?

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 13:33 +0100, Jeroen Janssen wrote:
> I've done the following in the past for testing:
> * changes rpm and rpm-python were tested locally on my Fedora Core 6
> machine, when everything worked ok, I updated the packages in the
> "installation repo" and generated a new iso file.

Note that you should also be able to put new librpm* and python module
in an updates.img.  Although this will then imply either a network
updates.img or using something like a usb key.[1]

> * changes in rpmUtils and yum were tested locally, and during install
> with an updates.img using the "updates" kernel option during boot from
> CD.

Yep, this should work

> However, it seems that updates to anaconda itself (kickstart.py,
> dispatch.py, etc) are not possible from the updates.img (at least from
> looking at the anaconda script it only allows to update items for
> "rhpl", "yum", "rpmUtils", "urlgrabber", "pykickstart", "rhpxl",
> "pirut").
>
> Is there an easy way to test changes to anaconda (without building a
> new ISO) that I can use?

You should be able to just put the updated anaconda files in the root
dir of the updates.img.

> I did some testing with xen in the past, but I haven't found out
> if/how I can specify my own anaconda to be used. Is it possible to use
> a custom anaconda for xen installs?

Not really, although I've used xen with some of the above updates
methods to make my testing a lot easier.

> I noticed the anaconda --test option, but I can not find documentation
> on exactly how/what it does (does it create partitions? install RPMs?
> etc)

--test (intends) to not touch the filesystem... there are cases where
there are bugs, but we tend to fix them when we notice them (or take
patches).  There's also --rootpath which will install packages into a
chroot.

I tend to use --test to test UI features (and move steps around in
dispatch.py to make it faster to test what I want) and use --rootpath
only very rarely for debugging these days.  For most testing, I use an
updates.img[2]

Jeremy

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Updates has the full rundown
of ways to use an updates.img
[2] Well, or even more often, I use an nfs tree and plop things into
RHupdates/ as opposed to an updates.img just because it's easier to scp
than create an image file :-)