Re: RFI: How to debug a particular problem with grub-install

Dag Wieers wrote:
On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, John Summerfield wrote:

Dag Wieers wrote:

Please, don't reply off-list or CC me; apart from everything else, it buggers
up the sorting (I sort on list-id).

Sorry, didn't notice that was the default policy.

You could also try changes to your BIOS configuration to see whether you
can influence what happens at install time.

No, we already did that. I checked and the problem is the SAN disk. I
thought we disabled the controller, but in fact we disabled it from the BIOS
point of view, Linux does see it and does see the disk.

I was thinking more of boot order: I'm guessing that needs to match the device
map.

The boot-order of the BIOS has no effect on what Grub does.

and that's the problem mentioned in the manual:-)

It doesn't know.

Worse, it can changed. I'm running a standard peecee. Imagine I install to /dev/hda, then install /dev/hdb and make it duel-boot, Windows & Linux. Because Windows is a little strange, I make it first in the boot order.

Then there are systems where one can change the boot order at boot time.

Or boot from USB, or not, depending on whether it's there (I think I can do this on one of my laptops).

Did I mention mobos with serial ATA and ATA? Or systems with add-on ATA/SATA cards?

I'm guessing that if there were an easy way to sort it out, I'm sure the GRUB (and LILO) authors would have done so.

Your idea of specifying the boot order on bootloader is sensible, but It doesn't help interactive users.

In kickstart, you already have the abiity to specify the boot otder in %post:
echo '(hd0)     /dev/hda' >/boot/grub/device.map

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait