Re: driverdisk option on RH7.3

Dan Carpenter wrote:

On 8/9/06, John Colville <jcolville@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello again Niels and Dan,

I'm delighted to say that it now works and it was REALLY simple! Thanks
for all your hints and encouragement.

So in the end you did just copy the files from your kick start to the
root of the dvd...  Isn't that what you were doing to begin with?  Why
didn't that work?  Also what was the "driverdisk" line that you used
in your kickstart file?

regards,
dan carpenter

Dan,

It's a bit of a mystery to me too actually because I also thought it was what I had always done as well. I'm keen to understand this fully because I wasted a lot of time on the wretched thing.

On this point though, there is one thing I'm yet to test but I'd be surprised if its the reason; Before I started trying again after I got your suggestions (and some sleep!), I removed the 3w-9xxx.o driver module from the modules.cgz I'd manually patched for use by the BOOT kernel on the DVD. I did this because it had already seemed to me (and I had indeed read somewhere) that the driverdisk option ought to work without manually patching in modules at ANY stage. I'm now wondering if its existance there somehow surpresses the installer's urge to go looking for an alternative driver in the first place... just a thought. Anyway, check it out and let you know.

The driverdisk line is as described in step 14 of my script and is indeed exactly as I had originally specified before I contacted you. Aslo, as noted in the script, hda0 worked as well.

driverdisk hda --type=iso9660

Thanks again,

John

P.S. Can you suggest how best to post my script so that others can take a look ?