anaconda bug: loader2/cdinstall.c's use of probeDevices

Thanks to some debugging statements, I've tracked down the source of
the /sbin/loader crash I was experiencing that was hurting Mazu's
installation process.

The bug is in loader2/cdinstall.c's use of Kudzu's probeDevices:

    devices = probeDevices(CLASS_CDROM, BUS_UNSPEC, 0);
    if (!devices) {
	logMessage(ERROR, "No CDROM devices found!");
	return 1;
    }

Unfortunately, Kudzu does not return a null pointer in this case.  Here
is the official documentation (out of /usr/include/kudzu/kudzu.h) for
what is actually returned:

   /* Probe for devices of the specified class, on the specified bus,
    * with the specified class. Returns a NULL-terminated array of
    * device (or subclass) pointers */
   struct device ** probeDevices (enum deviceClass probeClass,
   			          enum deviceBus probeBus,
			          int probeFlags
			          );

A NULL-terminated array of zero elements is not a NULL pointer.

So, first of all, if someone can tell me how I can go about submitting a
patch for the bug in cdinstall.c, I would appreciate knowing what to do.

Second of all, it appears that Kudzu 1.2.24.3, (as distributed in the FC
5 RPM kudzu-devel-1.2.34.3-1), is not detecting the CD drive on the IBM
BladeCenter I've been testing on.

This is an IBM Machine Type 8677, model # 2XX.  (8677-2XX), manufactured
in April of 2003.

I'll write directly to Bill Notting, the current Kudzu maintainer, and
see if I can help make that probing work in Kudzu.

Thanks to Dan Carpenter for his helpful reply when I wrote to this list
initially about debugging /sbin/loader.

Steven

--
Steven Augart