installation problem on PPC64

Hello to everyone,

tried to install fedora core 4 on a logical partition on a IBM PPC64 system
"OpenPower720" using only virtual devices.(virtual ethernet, virtual scsi,
virtual console provided by a so called VIO-Server)

That's what I did so far:
- burned the first ISO-image on CD and booted from this media.
- prepared an ftp-server as an installation soure
- can start installation via virtual serial connection at boot prompt with :
"linux askmethod"
- able to key in IP-information and FTP-server information. -> On the
  FTP-Server side I can see the ftp connection is working
- I can see anaconda starting, but failing soon with "Error bad argument
--virtpconsole: unknown option".
- Found a bugzilla entry #160573 which states this issue is resolved with
  latest anaconda-package
- so I downloaded latest anaconda and anaconda-runtime rpms from

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/ppc64/Fedora/RPMS/
- unpacked anaconda files with rpm2cpio anaconda-xyz.ppc64.rpm | cpio -id
  and rpm2cpio anaconda-runtime-xyz.ppc64.rpm | cpio -id into a temporary
  dir /tmp/RHupdates
- copied this temp dir to <ftp-root-dir>/Fedora/RHupdates
- additionally made a cramfs image (ext2 image didn't work either);
  cd /tmp/RHupdates; mkfs.cramfs . updates.img
- copied this image to <ftp-root-dir>/Fedora and to
  <ftp-root-dir>/Fedora/base
- started installation again at the boot prompt with: "linux askmethod"
- but installation fails like before, anaconda updates seem to be ignored.
- same with boot prompt: "linux askmethod updates" -> this time an
  additional dialog appears asking for the updates source, but only cd
  devices are selectable

Any ideas what's wrong? Is this update.img/RHUpdates thing still supposed to
work.
Is something wrong with my ftp setup ? Shortly after starting the
installation, the message "local installation media detected" is displayed.
Tried the same via NFS -> same problem.

Btw, a "RHEL4 AS Update 2" installation on the same hardware runs without
problems.

Thanks in advance,
  Wolfgang