Re: Set anaconda AND system default language

Christian Gonzalez G. wrote:
> First of all, sorry for my english :-)
>
> I'm customizing FC4 install CDs. I need Anaconda to start in spanish as
> default language (language selection screen must be hidden).
>
> I've followed this:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2005-August/msg00082.html
>
> It works very well. The installation proccess starts in spanish and language
> selection screen is hidden. But when installation finishes and I boot in the
> installed system, default system's language is still english. I
> mean, /etc/sysconfig/i18n is OK, but GDM, Gnome, etc. is in english.
>
> Using system-config-language the problem is fixed, but obviously this is not
> what I want.
>
> How can I set default system language to spanish during installation? What do
> I have to modify in Anaconda code?
>
> Thanks in advance.
I am guessing that you don't want to have pass in arguments to anaconda
on booting the CD to set the language or run a kickstart file based on
the msg00082.html email.  At the CD boot prompt you could type in

linux lang=es_ES

The kernel will pass this on to anaconda. lang es_ES in a line of a kick
start file will do the same thing as the linux boot options. Anaconda
will automatically drop the language screen for you since it was set in
the kickstart file.

Since you bypassed the language selection screen during installation so
that Spanish is the default language during an install, I am guessing
that en_US was still defaulted elsewhere in the anaconda code.  The
system-config-language GUI files are called during first boot. The files
in the /usr/share/system-config-language write to /etc/sysconfig/i18n.
The code says that it will default to en_US if the i18n file is empty.

If you used "dispatch.skipStep("languagesupport") line in your
installclasses/myserver_installation.py", then you are going to have to
hack another file to set the i18n file.  Look at the def __init__
section and the def write methods of the anaconda language.py file.  You
need to take parts of that code and push it into, say, the main anaconda
file if you are skipping this language.py file.  Depending on how you
hacked the language file and dispatch code the language.write function
may not be invoked.

If you don't add the "dispatch.skipStep() code, then a more skillful
hack of the anaconda language.py file would: change all the en_US and
other i18n parms to es_ES; hack out the calls that paint the gui; make
sure that you write the i18n file; use the os.environ["LANG"] call to
set the LANG variable for the remaining anaconda code.

I am guessing about what you did. However, it sounds like you achived
your objective of having the installer start the install in Spanish
without asking.

Greg

from /usr/share/system-config-language/language_gui.py
        #If /etc/sysconfig/i18n file is empty for some reason, assume
English is the only lang
        if self.originalLang == None:
            iter = self.langStore.append()
            self.langStore.set_value(iter, 0, 'en_US.UTF-8')
            self.langStore.set_value(iter, 1, 'iso01')
            self.langStore.set_value(iter, 2, 'lat0-sun16')
            self.langStore.set_value(iter, 3, 'English (USA)')
            self.installedLangs = ['en_US.UTF-8:en']
            return