Re: Apples and snakes

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 16:20 -0400, Matt Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 04:19:08PM +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> > Another way is by use of zeroconf: mDNSclient code in Anaconda could
> > seek out information about the environment.
>
> I don't like the idea of having to add more client code in the loader.

I don't especially like it either, but eventually, mDNS (or something
like it) is probably going to be wanted for things like finding local
install servers.  That's down the road a bit, though.

> > I've been thinking some time about ways to reduce the configuration
> > sysadmins must do in order to install. kickstart is good, way better
> > than I thought when it was first introduced. Using PXE is good (though
> > my experience until recently was with faulty boot roms).
>
> A natural extension of using DHCP and PXE to get to a kickstart
> install is to follow RFC2489 to get a DHCP option number assigned.
> This would give anaconda a reserved place to get the ks.cfg location
> from the DHCP server without overloading option 67 or the bootfile;

Yeah, this is probably the sanest approach for something like this.  But
given the lack of available ones, I'm not sure that "anaconda kickstart
configs" will pass muster.  We could go the hacky route of using one of
the reserved/private fields[1] and then allow a way of overriding the #
that's used for people that need a different one.  That would also let
us get something usable faster

Jeremy

[1] Sadly, it looks like this is what OF on Macs already do :-/