Re: Apples and snakes

Please, _not_ off-list. Most offlist email to this address gets deleted unread.

Matt Wilson wrote:
On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 04:19:08PM +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

Another way is by use of zeroconf: mDNSclient code in Anaconda could seek out information about the environment.

I don't like the idea of having to add more client code in the loader.

One reason I didn't suggest it. I've been thinking about the problem and possible solutions of which Zeroconf is one, but I don't think it's the best.

I've been thinking some time about ways to reduce the configuration sysadmins must do in order to install. kickstart is good, way better than I thought when it was first introduced. Using PXE is good (though my experience until recently was with faulty boot roms).

A natural extension of using DHCP and PXE to get to a kickstart
install is to follow RFC2489 to get a DHCP option number assigned.
This would give anaconda a reserved place to get the ks.cfg location
from the DHCP server without overloading option 67 or the bootfile;

That avoids possible confusion. Maybe better is this:
 option vendor-encapsulated-options string;

      The vendor-encapsulated-options option can contain either a  sin-
      gle  vendor-specific  value or one or more vendor-specific subop-
      tions.

which does not require special registration.

This could be useful too: option www-server. It "says" IP address, but ip-address can be expressed as a domain name.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait