Re: Apples and snakes

Jeremy Katz wrote:

Unfortunately, this would not be the desired behavior of other people.
So as it stands, we're going to stick to requiring the kickstart config
to be specified.

What problems do you see?

A lot of PXE setups are set up such that the filename of pxelinux is
always given out.  So by always following that, we'd end up grabbing a
garbage file which could then end up having less than desired effects.

I've already dealt with that one: Anaconda should recognize a pxelinux file (or other binary for that matter) and silently ignore ot.

The silent ignoring is actually something that is causing lots of grief
-- people want to know about the failure.  While looking on tty3 is
great for local installs, it's less useful on hardware that doesn't have
a physical console.

I don't see how silently ignoring pxelinux.o (and etherboot) is a problem. I suggested silently ignoring other binary files to cover the possibility of some other boot loader (such as yaboot, milo, silo, whatever). If it's an executable file of some kind, the sysadmin probably does not intend it to be used as a kickstart file. Also, if one expects a ks file to be found, it's not hard to look at the logs.

As for tty3: Anaconda asks for a system logger. Does it use it? If so, there's no problem finding the message (once told where to look).

While the class based and dhcp identifier stuff is nice, I'd venture a
guess that most people aren't actually using it and I'm sure there are a
number of commonly used dhcp servers out there that really don't support
it.

They don't _have_ to use it if Anaconda supports it. If Anaconda supports it, they _can_ use it.

AFAIK RH/Fedora only documents network installs from RH/Fedora servers, and those have ISC DHCPD 3 so there's no problem there. DHCPD 3 also ships with Debian, another considerable base of Linux users, so those don't have a problem either.

It's nearly impossible to document things we don't ship.  But that
hardly means they're the only things that a) people use or b) we
support.  If I only had to deal with homogeneous environments, my life
would definitely be much simpler :-)

Document, "if you want to use this feature, here is the software you require:"
ISC DHCP3 ....
HPA TFTPD ...

People who meet the software requirements _can_ use the feature if it exists. I don't have any numbers, but I do expect that _most_ people, especially those running any current Linux distro, can easily meet those requirements, and of course, anyone interested in the feature will soon have shiny new boxes using RH/Fedora Linux that does.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait