Re: Apples and snakes

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 04:19:08PM +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

> Another way is by use of zeroconf: mDNSclient code in Anaconda could
> seek out information about the environment.

I don't like the idea of having to add more client code in the loader.

> I've been thinking some time about ways to reduce the configuration
> sysadmins must do in order to install. kickstart is good, way better
> than I thought when it was first introduced. Using PXE is good (though
> my experience until recently was with faulty boot roms).

A natural extension of using DHCP and PXE to get to a kickstart
install is to follow RFC2489 to get a DHCP option number assigned.
This would give anaconda a reserved place to get the ks.cfg location
from the DHCP server without overloading option 67 or the bootfile;

Cheers,

Matt
--
Matt Wilson