Re: Apples and snakes

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 21:50 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> I've been playing round with a Mac or two, discovering how to do network
> installs on them.
>
> Since network-booting Macs is under-documented I've been doing (aside
> from extended googling) much spying on network traffic.

Hmm, it's all IEEE1275 obp-tftp stuff.

> I can now take a Mac, boot with "n" held down and get into yaboot (which
> can't find its config file).

I know what the issue here is, I'd need yaboot

Patches to fix yaboot for this will be forthcoming, hopefully the next
yaboot release will contain them.

Also you might want to try

> If I do it a little more manually, say by entering this command in OF:
> boot enet:,\Mac\yaboot
> then yaboot finds its config file.

Does boot enet:, not work for you?

Having next-server and filename="yaboot" works here, my dhcpd.conf has a
whole host of stuff:

        #Mac NetBoot Options
        # (these require dhcpd 3.0+)
        option mac-nc-client-unknown code 220 = string;
        option mac-nc-client-id code 221 = string;
        option mac-version code 230 = string;
        option mac-username code 232 = text;
        option mac-password code 233 = text;
        option mac-nb-img code 234 = string;
        option mac-apps-img code 235 = string;
        option mac-machine-name code 237 = text;
        option mac-client-nb-img code 238 = string;

group macs {
        option routers 10.13.0.254;
        option domain-name-servers 172.16.76.10, 172.16.52.28;
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
        option broadcast-address 10.13.0.255;
        filename "yaboot";
        authoritative;
option dhcp-max-message-size 576;
           option dhcp-parameter-request-list = concat(
                         option dhcp-parameter-request-list,
                         dc, dd, e6, e8, e9, ea, eb, ec, ed, ee); # mac
options
           option mac-version 0:0:0:0;

        if (option mac-nc-client-id = "Apple MacNC") {
           option dhcp-max-message-size 576;

           option dhcp-parameter-request-list = concat(
                         option dhcp-parameter-request-list,
                         dc, dd, e6, e8, e9, ea, eb, ec, ed, ee); # mac
options

           # put global macnc-specific options here...
           option mac-version 0:0:0:0;
        }

host ...

> I note that Anaconda asks for lots of stuff I've not seen documented,
> but that could be because I've not read the documents closely enough
> recently. Things like log servers. LPR servers (does Anaconda want to
> print stuff?), font servers... users should run tcpdump and analyse the
> capture file with ethereal. It's very informative.

This is really pump.

> and I could give it different IP etc, and a filename.
>
> Here's the suggestion:
> How about having Anaconda misuse the file name to determine the
> kickstart file to use. Possible values in dhcpd.conf might be:
> filename "tftp://whatup.ks";; # Fetch with tftp
> filename "http://www.example.con/cgu/kicker.ks";; get it via http,
> possibly dynamically-generated.

You don't need to do this - boot yaboot and in the conf

append="ip=dhcp ks=http://www.example.com/path/to/foo.ks";.

Eg I have the following, but ks= works just as well:

image=/pmac/rawhide/vmlinuz
        label=nasrat
        initrd=/pmac/rawhide/initrd.img
        append="ip=dhcp method=nfs:g5:/srv/rawhide-ppc vnc selinux=0"
        read-only

Paul