A problem customising the install to reduce the number of disks needed....

Hi,

I'm trying to reduce the number of disks I need to use, to install a
set of internet kiosks I have developed based on fedora. Currently
I have my own kickstart file on a special fedora core one disk. It
then chooses the packages I need off disks one to three. I then have a
fourth disk that installs my software and turns the pc into a kiosk.

I'm moving to fedora core three and now the amount of disks I need is
up to five. I want to reduce the amount of disks down to two if possible.
The fedora os install plus my stuff on a second disk.

I've followed the advice I was given a while ago on the fedora-list, and
looked at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaBuildDocProject and
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/anaconda-installer/. I've also
trawled through news groups on how to do this.

My problem is I can't seem to get "getnotincomps.py" to work and tell
me what rpms I don't need. It just keeps producing key errors. I've
tried just try-excepting the key error to see how far it gets. But
every package causes the problem. I thought this was a problem with
how I did my stuff. However when I tried to produce a distro based on
the original comps.xml and fedora core three information, I find it
doesn't work either. I've also found that the original stuff seems to
be missing packages that aren't on the disks either:

<snip>
:
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package redhat-logos
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package compat-libgcc-295
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package compat-libgcc-296
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package compat-libgcc-32
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package compat-libstdc++-295
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package compat-libstdc++-296
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package compat-libstdc++-32
:
</snip>

In my custom version I just commented out these problem areas. I presumed
if it was a problem with the original its not something I have to worry
about. I realise that this is a head-in-the-sand approach. A lot of
what goes on in producing a distro seems to border on voodoo magic.

I've already asked this question on the fedora-list under the subject
"Customising fedora problems..." with no response. I reckon this is probably
the place to ask it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

om

My original mail:
------------------

Hi,

I'm trying to produce a single disk fedora core 3 install, based on
a custom set up I use.

I can seem to get "getnotincomps.py" to work and tell me what rpms I
don't need. It just keeps producing key errors. I've tried just
try-excepting the key error to see how far it gets. But every package
causes the problem.

The following is the process I'm using based on the wiki and other
sources of information. I've also attached my "comps.xml" I've tried
to customise and my "getnotincomps.py".

- I followed the environment set here http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaBuildEnvironment?highlight=%28CategoryAnaconda%29

- Got and edited getfullcomps.py and changed RedHat to Fedora.

- Edit my comps.xml

- Tried running: getfullcomps.py comps.xml /var/fedora_dev/fedora-custom/ i386

CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package openCryptoki
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package prctl
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package redhat-logos
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package compat-libgcc-295
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package compat-libgcc-296
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package compat-libgcc-32
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package compat-libstdc++-295
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package compat-libstdc++-296
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package compat-libstdc++-32
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package gtkglarea
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package openCryptoki
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package elilo
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package indexhtml
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package iprutils
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package ppc64-utils
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package redhat-logos
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package rpmdb-redhat
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package s390utils
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package yaboot
CRITICAL ERROR: Unable to find package anaconda-product

- I tried to recover the rpm names to help finding the missing ones:

rpm -q --qf '%{NAME}\n' -p i386/Fedora/RPMS/*.rpm > rpm_names.txt

- grep "s390utils" rpm_names.txt and nothing is found!? I tried this with the other missing packages with the same result. I commented out the missing packages for the moment.

- genhdlist --withnumbers --productpath Fedora $BASE/fedora-custom/i386

- pkgorder $BASE/fedora-custom/i386/ i386 Fedora > $BASE/fedora-custom/i386/package_order.txt

- genhdlist --withnumbers --productpath Fedora $BASE/fedora-custom/i386

- genhdlist $BASE/fedora-custom/i386 --withnumbers --fileorder=$BASE/fedora-custom/i386/package_order.txt

- /usr/share/comps-extras/getnotincomps.py $BASE/fedora-custom i386 Fedora/base:

name <bash>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/comps-extras/getnotincomps.py", line 62, in ?
main()
File "/usr/share/comps-extras/getnotincomps.py", line 51, in main
for pkg in comps.packages[name].dependencies:
KeyError: 'bash'

Any help in sorting this out would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

om
<x-tad-bigger>
</x-tad-bigger>