Re: config for undetected hda

anaconda-devel-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx wrote on 01/21/2005 04:05:45 PM:

> On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 14:57 -0500, David Becker wrote:
> > I am trying to use Rocks's anaconda to install on a Xen virtual
> > machine.   This fails when anaconda does not detect the existing
> > disk partitions.   I would not expect it to detect the xen virtual
block
> > device since there is no PCI or IDE bus.  The hda1 and hda2 partitions
> > exist and have the same major/minor numbers as an IDE disk.
>
> It's not going to work.  anaconda needs to be able to detect devices to
> use them to install to/from.  Otherwise, there's no way to be able to
> catch people trying to install to non-existent devices.

While you're that anaconda needs to be to detect devices to use them,
there is a way to make it work.  In my situation we had HP servers with no
configured hardware RAID sets and I wanted to install RHEL on them in a
scripted manner.  Well anaconda blatantly refused to let me even go into
%pre to run some commands to create the raid sets (I think this is a
flawed design, IMHO), in order to work around that, I did the following,
which may work for you:

The first thing you need to do is make your own custom "loader"
executable.. Extract the anaconda source somewhere and do the following:

cd anaconda-9.1.3/loader2

Look for the file named loader.c and bring it up in your favorite editor.
Search for the line that starts with:

checkForHardDrives(&kd, &flags);

and comment  it out using C-style comments.  It would then look like:

/* checkForHardDrives(&kd, &flags); */

You will also have to comment out the function as well, which should look
like:

/* static void wcheckForHardDrives(struct knownDevices * kd, int *
flagsPtr) {
*lines of code
*lines of code
*/}

Now you will need to compile.  from the loader2/ directory, run

make

now you need to disect the stage2.img:

bring up the stage2/usr/bin/anaconda in your editor.  Look for the
following lines:

        os.symlink("/usr/%s/python2.2/site-packages/rhpl/%s" %(libdir, f),
                "/tmp/updates/rhpl/%s" %(f,))

Just below that line append the following

##do disk config stuff
print "Runnig Disk Config...\n"
os.system("/usr/bin/mknod whateverwhatever")
##

Yes I know that this is a hack but it works beautifuly, and is the only
option unless Red Hat decides to at least give the option off that causes
the installer to fail when no hdd's are detected (it should really probe
after %pre is executed, or at least, re-probe).

James

James S. Martin, RHCE
Contractor
Administrative Office of the United States Courts
Washington, DC
(202) 502-2394