Re: New to Anaconda with dumb questions.

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 16:46, Hibbard T. Smith, JR wrote:
> These are probably dumb questions, but I'm relatively new to anaconda, not
> to linux.
>
> First, I'll try to describe the situation:
>
> I am building linux based file servers for smaller linux/windows shops.  I
> want to use the latest kernels and a custom distribution.  I'd like to start
> with Fedora Core2 and customize from there.  Unfortunately, I can't get the
> core 2 distribution to boot on the machine because the i2o driver doesn't
> load and the dpt_i2o driver isn't part of the distribution (I'm using an
> Adaptec 2010s based raid for the boot file system).  I tried the trick of
> building drivers (with patches from the i2o on linux site), installing them
> on a web server and loading them in the middle of the installation start up,
> but I never quite managed to make that go.
>
> So, I installed core 1 and built a 2.6.7-bk20 kernel that runs the Adaptec
> and the raid just fine and will boot from it.  Therefore, I need to start on
> my customized distribution cd's to get core 2 installed using this new
> kernel and drivers.
>
> So, here come the questions:
>
> 1) Do I need to update the FC 1 system to anaconda 10.? to be able to work
> with the FC 2 distribution?
>
> 2) Can I even work on the FC 2 distribution in FC 1?  I've seen some stuff
> that suggests that it won't work.  If so, how can I bootstrap this provcess?
> I guess I'd have to get FC 2 working on another system and build my
> customized distribution with the new kernel RPM and SRPM on it.  Is that
> really the only way to make this work?

Yes, you do need to run FC2 because you will need the latest python,
glibc, etc.  Technically, you could use yum/apt to upgrade from FC1 to
FC2, but that may or may not work.  Do you not have a generic white-box
that can load FC2?  It may just be easier to get a machine without the
latest Adaptec RAID board and install FC2 on it, then customize your
distro there.

Forrest