New to Anaconda with dumb questions.

These are probably dumb questions, but I'm relatively new to anaconda, not
to linux.

First, I'll try to describe the situation:

I am building linux based file servers for smaller linux/windows shops.  I
want to use the latest kernels and a custom distribution.  I'd like to start
with Fedora Core2 and customize from there.  Unfortunately, I can't get the
core 2 distribution to boot on the machine because the i2o driver doesn't
load and the dpt_i2o driver isn't part of the distribution (I'm using an
Adaptec 2010s based raid for the boot file system).  I tried the trick of
building drivers (with patches from the i2o on linux site), installing them
on a web server and loading them in the middle of the installation start up,
but I never quite managed to make that go.

So, I installed core 1 and built a 2.6.7-bk20 kernel that runs the Adaptec
and the raid just fine and will boot from it.  Therefore, I need to start on
my customized distribution cd's to get core 2 installed using this new
kernel and drivers.

So, here come the questions:

1) Do I need to update the FC 1 system to anaconda 10.? to be able to work
with the FC 2 distribution?

2) Can I even work on the FC 2 distribution in FC 1?  I've seen some stuff
that suggests that it won't work.  If so, how can I bootstrap this provcess?
I guess I'd have to get FC 2 working on another system and build my
customized distribution with the new kernel RPM and SRPM on it.  Is that
really the only way to make this work?

3) Assuming I can make this work on the target system with FC 1, what
packages/versions/patches do I need to install to get anaconda up to speed
for FC 2 work?  It seems like if I need to update a lot of the FC 1
packages, the dependencies are going to cause me to install a lot of
updates.  If I do all that, am I going to break the FC 1 to the point that
it won't run long enough to produce the customized FC 2 cd's?

I guess that's enough questions for now.  I'm sorry for the length of this,
but I'm hoping someone can straightem me out.

Thanks, in advance for any help ...

-Smitty
Hibbard T. Smith, JR
smitty@xxxxxxxxxxx