Re: anaconda-d] Re: FC3 working anaconda todo

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Joshua Jensen wrote:

> Can you provide an example?

> On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 12:56:13AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 12:12:49AM -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> > > As a compromise how about setting up ntp, etc. based on the timeserver info
> > > in the dhcp server? Would this be workable? Granted it would not work for
> > > machines installed in a non-dhcp environment but it would be a start.

I have reviewed the man pages for dhcpd and dhcpd.conf when
this thread started. While there is a mechnism fo rhanding out
TZ offset, I m not aware, nor do they disclose any parameter
for handing out, or for a dhcp client to receive and use,
ntpserver information.

Pushing in a configuration file for /etc/ntp.conf is easy
enough, but it is probably a task for the post install
firstboot, once the host is out of the build and burn-in room,
and placed into the production subnet.

Generating a 'well formed' one will likewise depend on the
network segment a host eventually ends up in.  I would be
interested in tools to automate the generation of a well
formed ntp.conf (and friends) based on information handed out
from the DHCP server, but do not know of a mechanism for the
dhcp server to do it.

-- Russ Herrold