Re: conditionals in comps.xml

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 23:49 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Okay, I was sure I had a conversation with Jeremy (or someone) about this a
> while ago, but I can't remember how it came out, or find record of it
> anyway....

Probably here :)

> The old non-XML comps file had the ability to list packages as conditional
> on others -- you could have a Games group, and tag certain packages within
> that to only get installed if (for example) X was selected.
>
> The new format, while superior in many ways, doesn't seem to have this. And
> it causes an annoying problem, very apparent in the select-package-groups
> screen. There shouldn't need to be separate groups for Development, X
> Development, GNOME Development, and KDE Development. There should just be
> Development, and then if you've picked that, it'd automatically install the
> devel stuff for any desktop environments you've choosen.

Unfortunately, these conditionals make things _extremely_
non-deterministic as to how they're going to work.  In the past, without
the per-group details, it was just kind of annoying.  Now, it would be
absolutely mind boggling.  Just think about how having one group
selected drastically changes what gets selected otherwise -- how do you
handle that if someone edits Development, then selects KDE?  Do you turn
on KDE Development or not?

Jeremy