conditionals in comps.xml

Okay, I was sure I had a conversation with Jeremy (or someone) about this a
while ago, but I can't remember how it came out, or find record of it
anyway....

The old non-XML comps file had the ability to list packages as conditional
on others -- you could have a Games group, and tag certain packages within
that to only get installed if (for example) X was selected.

The new format, while superior in many ways, doesn't seem to have this. And
it causes an annoying problem, very apparent in the select-package-groups
screen. There shouldn't need to be separate groups for Development, X
Development, GNOME Development, and KDE Development. There should just be
Development, and then if you've picked that, it'd automatically install the
devel stuff for any desktop environments you've choosen.

A similar thing applies to the config tools (although, really, those could
just be moved from their own special group and put with the things they
configure, couldn't they?).

Would it be possible to have something like this for Fedora Core 3?

This is in some ways a tangent to the thread Havoc Pennington started this
afternoon on the fedora-list -- having a more flexible and user-friendly
package group syntax would help with making more powerful install class
options.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>