redhat-install-packages sometimes fails with /mnt/cdrom error message

On some of our Red Hat 9 machines,

   redhat-install-packages <rpms>

will fail with the message

   Install Tree Not Found

   The path /mnt/cdrom does not look
   like a valid installation source

- which seems a bit strange, since this variant of the tool is supposed to install specific RPMs passed on the command line, not read a distribution CD.

On other hosts, the command works as expected, i.e. it will try to install or upgrade the packages specified on the command line rather like 'rpm -U' would. I'm really baffled by this, as I've looked and looked again, but I just can't see any differences between the hosts where this command works as expected an the ones where it doesn't. Any ideas?

All this with redhat-config-packages-1.1.8-1 and rhpl-0.93.4-1.

- Toralf