Problem replacing kernel/modules

I'm using my script at:

http://www.iruntheinter.net/files/misc/custom-modules.pl-1.8

to replace the kernel and modules in the taroon beta (the BOOT kernel
won't work on my servers for some reason).  I can't build a floppy (the
normal i686 kernel won't fit on a floppy), so I'm setting up for PXE
boot.  That is working, but when it loads my modified initrd.img and
tries to load modules, it gets (from the serial console):

running /sbin/loader
error -2147483630 reading header: cpio: read failed - No such file or directory
Gerror -2147483630 reading header: cpio: read failed - No such file or directory
error -2147483630 reading header: cpio: read failed - No such file or directory
error -2147483630 reading header: cpio: read failed - No such file or directory
install exited abnormally -- received signal 11

when trying to load modules.  I looked at the code, and I don't see how
it can even return "No such file or directory", unless an error code is
being misinterpreted (because that comes when reading the already
successfully opened gziped file).

I used this script just fine to build updated floppies for RHL9.  I am
looking at the generated modules.cgz and the original modules.cgz, and I
can't see any difference except for the kernel version directory name.

Any suggestions?
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>