Re: Problem replacing kernel/modules

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Chris Adams wrote:

> I'm using my script at:
>
> http://www.iruntheinter.net/files/misc/custom-modules.pl-1.8
>
> to replace the kernel and modules in the taroon beta (the BOOT kernel
> won't work on my servers for some reason).  I can't build a floppy (the
> normal i686 kernel won't fit on a floppy), so I'm setting up for PXE
> boot.  That is working, but when it loads my modified initrd.img and
> tries to load modules, it gets (from the serial console):
>
> running /sbin/loader
> error -2147483630 reading header: cpio: read failed - No such file or directory
> Gerror -2147483630 reading header: cpio: read failed - No such file or directory
> error -2147483630 reading header: cpio: read failed - No such file or directory
> error -2147483630 reading header: cpio: read failed - No such file or directory
> install exited abnormally -- received signal 11
>
> when trying to load modules.  I looked at the code, and I don't see how
> it can even return "No such file or directory", unless an error code is
> being misinterpreted (because that comes when reading the already
> successfully opened gziped file).
>
> I used this script just fine to build updated floppies for RHL9.  I am
> looking at the generated modules.cgz and the original modules.cgz, and I
> can't see any difference except for the kernel version directory name.
>
> Any suggestions?
> --
> Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
Not much help, but I'm running into the same thing.  I rebuilt the kernel
RPMS in order to patch in Speakup, http://linux-speakup.org/, and rebuilt
the installation image using Forest's patch to buildinstall with the
following command-line.
/root/bin/buildinstall --pkgorder /tmp/pkgorder.txt --comp /home/wacker/yarrow/i386/Fedora/base/comps.xml --version 1 \
--release "Fedora Core 1" --product "Fedora Core" --prodpath Fedora /home/wacker/yarrow/i386

     So, now there are at least two of us.  Does anyone have any ideas?
--
          Bill in Denver