Re: Ethernet Probe order?

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 12:58, Brian Long wrote:
> We have a large problem determining which NICS in a multiple-NIC machine
> will come up as eth0 for kickstart to proceed?

It's all based off of the kernel's scan order.  Which is basically PCI
scan order but when you start throwing ACPI in, it can change I believe.

> Even the Taroon installer does not seem configurable in an
> Enterprise-aware fashion.  I can pull the GigE NIC and it works, but
> this is not Enterprise ready.  When I'm managing 50 of these servers
> remotely and I need to re-kickstart, I need to specify to use the
> onboard.  I cannot have someone go yank 50 GigE cards in the middle of
> the night or whatever.

In Taroon and Severn (and anything after), there is ksdevice=link to use
the first network device with a link.  Anything more than that, and I
really don't know of ways to differentiate and tell thanks to the
"wonderfulness" that is PC hardware.

If you have multiple of them with link, then why does it matter which is
used for the installation?

Jeremy