Re: Ethernet Probe order?

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 12:58, Brian Long wrote:
> > We have a large problem determining which NICS in a multiple-NIC machine
> > will come up as eth0 for kickstart to proceed?
>
> It's all based off of the kernel's scan order.  Which is basically PCI
> scan order but when you start throwing ACPI in, it can change I believe.

It's trivially easy to write a pci detection routine, so it shouldn't be
that difficult to create a screen which would enable you to re-order the
network devices.  Right now anaconda seems to do most of its magic based
on the way things get written to modules.conf, but there's no reason why
this couldn't be changed and re-ordered.

I remember there was a bug back in RH7.2 where /sbin/loader was writing
stuff out as "scsi_hostadaptor" instead of "scsi_hostadapterX" which was
causing mkinitrd to create the linuxrc script (or whatever it's called)
incorrectly (since it's based off modules.conf).  It would re-order
block devices and come up with a kernel panic because an emulex device
would get potentially loaded before a adaptec device.  Nasty stuff.

> If you have multiple of them with link, then why does it matter which is
> used for the installation?

Different capabilities.  You might want to do things over a gig E which
you don't want to do over your 100 Mbps adapter.

--Patrick.