Re: various anaconda observations

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, John wrote:

> > it uses stage2.img).  There shouldn't be that many technical issues about
> > getting this to work correctly, so did it just fall off the radar at Red
> > Hat?

> Tecnical issue: Where's it going to put the installer's filesystem? With
> NFS, it cn mount the filesystem via NFS.

Yes, I looked at that, but it could easily store it on a ram disk.
The RPMs themselves would still need to be transferred seperately, but
this is an SMOC, and not a real technical limitation.

> Note that it's Red Hat Linux 9, not 9.0. Calling it 9.0 implies there
> will be a 9.1, and I'm offering London to a brick there won't be.

Yes, you're probably right.  Leave it to Red Hat to get rid of a perfectly
good numbering scheme.  I've been using RHL since 3.0.3 though so I guess
this isn't the first time their versioning will get all screwy.

> Install RHL 9 on a computer. Back it up using (maybe) tar.
> Restart it somewhere into a directory on your workstation, maybe into
> /var/local/RedHat/9
> To do you work,
> chroot /var/local/RedHat/9

You don't really need to even install it to a seperate computer.  You can
create a fake root directory and use "rpm --initdb" to start an rpm
database inside of that fake root.  Then just mull through the comps list
and start installing rpms with the "--root=" option and slowly build up a
filesystem.  If you want to get really fancy, you can solve the dependency
tree and come up with an ordered package list.  You can do this pretty
easily with a perl/python script which reads in the output of "--provides"
and "--depends" of the complete rpm package set.

My problem with this though is that it's an ugly hack.  It would be nice
if Red Hat would fix their makefiles to make them more relocatable,
although I guess it's probably not in their best interest to do so.

At any rate, it's not really that difficult to muck around with them
to get them to work correctly and you end up with a more useful and
relocatable cross compile environment.

> If you install RHL 9 on the same computer, you don't need to use tar to
> transfer the filesystem: simply mount it in (maybe) /var/local/RedHat/9.
>
> I use some of this to give me a Debian environment on RHL 7,3,

I've done that before with LNX-BBC.  One thing you want to watch out for
is removing a directory which has been mounted into the chroot
environment.  I ended up deleting my entire home directory by accident
because rm was recursing through each sub directory back into my home
directory.  Very evil.

--Patrick.