Re : Custom distro

Hi,

Excellant . It worked like charm. I have made a new set of rpm.
but it s like.
anaconda-7.3-7.i386.rpm . Will it work in all architectures?
Then, i have another question :
Is it legal ?! to replace occurences of "Redhat " with my own distro name ?
As it is Opensource, can i create a distribution which contains my own name in all places where Redhat is?

* In case, if i want to add some functionality  in my code, like writing one script after installation is over,
and execute it at the end of anaconda, how to add it to anaconda package?

-------------
Prasanna

I have burnt a CD with minimal RPMS and got n iso image.
But i want to replace the Redhat with my own. So i downloaded the
anaconda-7.3.7.src.rpm
but as i dont have python knowledge, how can make use of the
above rpm?
using idle editor , can i make something???

I've found the following to be quite a reliable way to modify the
installation:

First install the src package by issuing the command:
rpm -ivh anaconda-7.3.7.src.rpm

This puts the source tar-ball in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCE and the spec-file
in /usr/src/redhat/SPEC

Second untar the source with the command:
tar xjf anaconda-7.3.7.tar.bz2

Make two copies of the unpacked directories, one with the original name,
the other with your own addition, like anaconda-7.3.7 and
anaconda-7.3.7-prasanna.

After this make a copy of the spec-file with a similar naming ie.
anaconda-prasanna.spec

Now the objective is to create a patch from the difference of the
original and the modified source-directory, add it to the modified
spec-file and from that create a modified set of rpms to be installed
and used to create new ISO-images.

Most of the changes do not require python knowledge, for example if
we want to replace the RedHat CDROM-path, we can do it by recursively
replace the string RedHat/ in the
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCE/anaconda-7.3.7-prasanna
with the command

find /usr/src/redhat/SOURCE/anaconda-7.3.7-prasanna -type f -exec \
replace "RedHat/" "Prasanna/" -- {} \;

(The replace command comes with the mysql-packages and was quite
a saver when I did this myself)
After which we create a new patch-file with the commands:

cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCE
diff -urN anaconda-7.3.7 anaconda-7.3.7-prasanna > anaconda-prasanna.patch

And add the patch to the modified spec-file. Add the following row under
the BuildRoot:-line

Patch: anaconda-prasanna.patch

And between the %setup-q and %build add the following line:

%patch -p1

Also you can increase the release-number so the installation won't
warn of existing packages, also you can add an identifier to
the release-number (most distributions d o this to differentiate
the rpm from Red Hats).

Now the new spec can be used to create new anaconda-packages,
run the commands:

cd /usr/src/redhat/SPEC
rpm -ba anaconda-prasanna.spec

And install the modified rpms from /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/
directory. Also remember to copy and replace the anaconda
rpm-packages to your installation-directory.

BTW Changing all the places where Red Hat is mentioned is
a bit more challenging, some of the po-files have the string
split up on two lines, so it requires some manual work. Also
be careful not to replace the addresses, as these usually are
used in copyright texts. Here the grep-commands are helpful:

cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCE/anaconda-7.3.7-prasanna
grep -r "Red Hat, Inc" *
grep -r "Red Hat" *
grep -r " Red" *
grep -r "Hat, Inc" *

In 8.0 you also need to make new versions of the comps-extras
if you intend to change the CDROM-path.

Poltsi
Paul-Erik Törrönen
Cardinal Information Systems Ltd
Pursimiehenkatu 29-31 C, 00150 Helsinki, FINLAND
E-mail: paul-erik.torronen@xxxxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +358 (0) 40 703 1231
Phone: +358 (0) 424 162 4204
Fax: +358 (0) 424 162 4207