Re: Boot failure with CD set based on kernel 2.4.18-5

Tony Nugent wrote:
Hmm, that's the third (independent) mention of this same problem
that has come by me.  I haven't actually done an updated install
using this new kernel, I'll need to see if it does the same thing
for me.

I assume it is possible to use rescue mode to repair it... has
anyone done this?  What is the problem and how to fix it?  I'm
thinking that as a temporary measure such a fix could be scripted
from the %post section of a ks.cfg file.

Well, now I just saw this problem too. I have previously installed three times to test if I had this problem. I tried a dvd install that failed because the DVD was scratched. I got out my original updated CD, and it installed fine. I actually left it installing overnight, so when I came in this morning, it was at the partitioning screen (one of the things that I do manually). I rebooted, and I just got GRUB on the screen. I booted into rescue mode, ran:
grub-install /dev/hda
and then rebooted. This time I got GRUB stage 1.5, and it booted. According to the info page (I hadn't heard of stage 1.5 until today) stage 1.5 is the stage between 1 and 2. I'm not sure why it booted after stage 1.5, and didn't continue to stage 2. I am reinstalling now to see if I get the same errors.

Forrest