Re: Boot failure with CD set based on kernel 2.4.18-5

On Wed Jun 26 2002 at 18:07, "Peter" wrote:

(Quoting Brian Ipsen on June 24...)

> > I've built my own Redhat 7.3 CD set with updated rpm packages.
> > But there's a wierd problem with the lastest one I've done
> > (based on the 2.4.18-5 kernel) - when the buildinstall script is
> > used during the build process. The build-process doesn't report
> > any errors, and the CD images are created without problems. The
> > installation process from CD completes without problems, but
> > when trying to start afterwards, the PC only writes
> > GRUB
> <snip>
>
> Bizarre... I just ran into the same problem.  The kernel errata
> (http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2002-110.html) specifically
> mentions a grub fix, perhaps something was broken in the process.

Hmm, that's the third (independent) mention of this same problem
that has come by me.  I haven't actually done an updated install
using this new kernel, I'll need to see if it does the same thing
for me.

I assume it is possible to use rescue mode to repair it... has
anyone done this?  What is the problem and how to fix it?  I'm
thinking that as a temporary measure such a fix could be scripted
from the %post section of a ks.cfg file.

Or perhaps there is a change to the installer that will get it
working right?   Is it worth using the more recent versions of
anaconda in rawhide with this new kernel?

  Which raises another question... is it worth looking at the
  rawhide releases of anaconda for installer bugfixes and
  enhancements?  Will these versions work for the current stable
  release, or are they specific for rawhide?

If confirmed this might need to bugzilla'd, although #67342 and
#67441 may be related.

> Cheers,
> Peter
> ClarkConnect - http://www.clarkconnect.org