Re: RunTimeError: /sbin/depmod can not be run

Thanks for the help.

 Is it necessary to rerun buildinstall when replacing the kernel?

Diane Reichlen
Symantec Corporation
dreichlen@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Joshua Aune
                      <luken@xxxxxxxx>         To:       Diane Reichlen <dreichlen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by: Joshua          cc:       anaconda-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx
                      Aune                     Subject:  Re: RunTimeError: /sbin/depmod can not be run
                      <luken@deepthough
                      t.lnxi.com>

                      05/02/2002 12:50
                      PM

I am not failure with anaconda 7.1, but it should be similar to 7.2.
That exception comes from the line above it failing (from 7.2)

    if not os.access (root + command, os.X_OK):
        raise RuntimeError, command + " can not be run"

os.access is checking to see if instroot/sbin/depmod exists and can be
executed.  On 7.2 instroot=/mnt/sysimage it may be different on 7.1.
If the computer you were installing on is still in the installer
where it died, switch to the console on terminal 2 (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and
see if /mnt/sysimage/sbin/depmod exists and is executable.  Otherwise
boot with a boot disk and examen the partition that /sbin would be on.

I also am not failure with making a kickstart CD, but this is how I
have made a custom kernel for booting with.  This requires the CDs to be
rebuild from scratch, but it isn't too hard.  See previous posts on the
list on how to set up a build tree and make custom CDs.

1 Get kernel srpm from Red Hat.
2 Modify that config to suite my needs
3 Rebuild kernel BOOT packages and place in distro build tree and remove
  old kernel from build tree
4 Recreate iso's and boot disks using buildinstall and other related
  programs

Hope this helps

--
Joshua Aune