Re: documentation for error codes?

Mark Hills wrote on 6/7/20 9:20 AM:
> On Fri, 5 Jun 2020, D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> Many functions say about the return value:
>>   0 on success otherwise a negative error code
>>
>> Where is the documentation for the various possible "negative error code"s? I
>> am seeing a -32 under a specific set of circumstances, but don't know what
>> that returned value means, or even what header value defines it.
>
> Have you seen the snd_strerror() function?

Yes, thank you; usable at a pinch, but not really what I was trying to find,
which was more like the kind of thing one usually sees in man pages (the
better man pages, anyway); (I'll refrain from commenting on the lack of man
pages for ALSA).

> For any errors you may want to choose to take specific action, these are
> sometimes documented eg. snd_pcm_writei() has an explanation of the
> expected errors returned. The ones you will commonly see are summarised
> here ("Error codes"):
>
>   https://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm.html

Yes, that's the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you. It's a pity that
the individual functions don't tell you which ones they might return. And it
sounds like the list at that page isn't complete. But, as you suggest, it's a
start.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans