Re: documentation for error codes?

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020, D. R. Evans wrote:

> Many functions say about the return value:
>   0 on success otherwise a negative error code
>
> Where is the documentation for the various possible "negative error code"s? I
> am seeing a -32 under a specific set of circumstances, but don't know what
> that returned value means, or even what header value defines it.

Have you seen the snd_strerror() function?

For any errors you may want to choose to take specific action, these are
sometimes documented eg. snd_pcm_writei() has an explanation of the
expected errors returned. The ones you will commonly see are summarised
here ("Error codes"):

  https://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm.html

I agree this could be a litle more thoroughly spec'd at a function level,
which would also keep from implementing lots of unnecessary error paths.
But hopefully this information is enough to move you forwards.

--
Mark