Re: a mono phone interface

Clemens, Ladies and Gentlemen,

After some difficulties with the old Centos-6 system I have had a
chance to play around some more with the Skype phone both under
Centos-6 and under Centos-8. Here are a couple of Observations:

First when I try the phone under Centos-6, where it works fine with
the plugin, when I run aplay with plain -D hw:1,0 instead, I get a
similar low noise output on the phone (and of similar duration as I
always get under Centos-8, about 10 seconds), where the intended
output is about 2 sec (voice output "Front Center"). This is not
surprising, and aplay complains with:
    Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 48000Hz, got = 8000Hz)
which means that the 48000 sample .wav file was played without the
proper conversion to 8000. However, this output seems similar to what
I get *with* the plugin under Centos-8, and where aplay reports:
    Plug PCM: Rate conversion PCM (8000, sformat=S16_LE)
It seems that under Centos-8 aplay reports that the rate conversion
takes place, but in reality this may not be the case.

Second observation, Centos-6 is an i686 system, Centos-8 is an x86_64
system, is it possible that that makes a difference. Note that the
Centos-7 system, which I ran for only a short time, which had the same
problems as Centos-8, was also an x86_64 system.

So my questions after the above, how can I further investigate what
happens with the requested (via the plugin) rate conversion under
Centos-8, which by now I suspect doesn't take place? And, do the
kernel modules snd_usb_audio and its cohorts need special parameter
settings under the x86_64 Centos-8? I haven't seen anything in that
respect under Centos-6.

I would much appreciate some hints on what to check next.

Thanks, AG

   Alfred Ganz					alfred-ganz:at:agci.com
   AG Consulting				(203) 624-9667
   440 Prospect Street # 11