Re: Seeking help configuring ALSA for Speakers, Webcam, Headset

Hobie and list

On Wed., Jul. 3, 2019, 17:14 , <hobie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hobie and list;
>
> On Tue., Jul. 2, 2019, 20:26 , <hobie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>  [stuff  deleted]

>> "Speakers

>> condition,
>> > you've tried using alsamixer?
>>
>> Good question, thanks. :)  I did - it appears to have no effect in terms
>> of switching from speakers to headset, etc.  Changing settings does have
>> an effect, but only on the currently chosen device, as far as I can
>> tell.
>>

> Ok, so maybe your issue is either configuring your default device or
> configuring specific applications to use specific devices?
>
> I guess I at least don't understand your use case. I'm assuming you want
> your system to default to your USB device but fall back to the internal
> stuff?

On a normal day I want all audio to be output via the sound card and
speakers.  But whenever I might make or receive a Skpe or Zoom connection,
I want those speakers to be silent and audio to be output via the USB
headset, and the headset's microphone to capture my voice and send it to
the person on the other end of the line.

Please look at this

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/19295/how-can-i-switch-to-my-usb-headset-automagically-when-its-plugged-in

Note that this and a lot of other similar how-tos suggest using Pulse. In my own case, using Ubuntu, my default config automatically switches to usb headset when plugged in and back to internal sound card when usb headset unplugged.