Seeking help configuring ALSA for Speakers, Webcam, Headset

Hi - I've been searching the 'Net for 3 weeks to understand how to
configure ALS for my setup and have only succeeded in confusing myself.
I'd be grateful for help with this; thanks in advance for any you can
provide.

I'm running the current stable Debian amd64 release.  PulseAudio is not
installed.  Default ALSA install works fine with sound card and its
speakers. Also present is a Logitech webcam and a Logitech headset, both
USB.

aplay -l

card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD
Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD
Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: H650e [Logitech Stereo H650e], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I found this somewhere and tried putting it into .asoundrc:

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer  {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,0"
                period_time 0
                period_size 1024
                buffer_size 4096
                rate 44100
        }
        bindings {
                0 0
                1 1
        }
}

ctl.dmixer {
        type hw
        card 0

Experimenting, I found that changing pcm "hw:0,0" to pcm "hw:1,0" and card
0 to card 1 and then restarting my Desktop muted the speakers and sent
playback to the headset.  I don't think it activated the microphone in the
headset. (?)  And that's pretty much all the progress I've made to this
point. :-)  I don't really understand most of the terms in the above
config fragment.  I get "hw" but not "slave" or "dmix" or "bindings", etc.

I'd like to understand how to switch from "Speakers only" to "Speakers
mute, Webcam with its microphone off, playback to the Headset and its
microphone on".  I'm hopeful you can help.  Thanks.