Re: AMD RX Vega 11 HDMI - audio limited to 16bit/48KHz

On Sun, 2018-12-23 at 11:57 -0600, Paul wrote:
> On 12/23/18 5:38 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 09:36:13 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > HDMI
> > Oops, so the analog domain isn't on board :D. However, the culprit for
> > odd audio quality remains the analog domain.

> Actually I can hear pretty clearly the difference between 16/44 CD
> quality and 24/96 recordings, not to mention SACD music - this one blows
> anything else out of water.
>
> Obviously one needs decent hardware and speakers, and not every music
> can reveal the difference. I bet if one mostly listens to rap in his
> car, then it's not possible to even distinguish between low rate MP3 and
> CD.
>
> BTW, I think HD audio already supported by AMD Vega 11 GPU, I was able
> to play 24/192 source today through HDMI and it wasn't down-converted,
> at least my receiver showed 192Khz sampling. So please disregard my
> question.
>
> Thanks.

I never mentioned CD quality, I mentioned 48 KHz, not 44,1KHz! Let alone
that my main point is the analog domain.

Regarding computer related audio equipment, for example, the headphone
amp's audio quality of card 0 is way beyond of card 4. Sample rate and
bit depth of the digital domain are secondary, if the analog domain
isn't professional.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ aplay -l | grep -e card\ 0 -e card\ 4
card 0: HDSPMx579bcc [RME AIO_579bcc], device 0: RME AIO [RME AIO]
card 4: USB [Scarlett 18i20 USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

Even DAT longplay would sound better played via the RME analog outputs,
than any better digital quality recording played by the Scarlett's
analog outputs. _But_ AFAIK even a pro-sumer device such as the Scarlett
beats any on-board audio device, in regards of converters as well as the
analog domain.

Sample rate and bit depth mean nothing at all, if the converters and the
analog domain are the weak parts of the audio chain.