Re: AMD RX Vega 11 HDMI - audio limited to 16bit/48KHz

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 20:16:28 -0600, Paul via Alsa-user wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have Ryzen 5 2400G CPU with built-in Vega 11 GPU - checking out
>available codecs on Fedora 29 (kernel 4.19.10) I get the following:
>
>Codec: ATI R6xx HDMI
>Address: 0
>AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)
>Vendor Id: 0x1002aa01
>Subsystem Id: 0x00aa0100
>Revision Id: 0x100700
>No Modem Function Group found
>Default PCM:
>     rates [0x70]: 32000 44100 48000
>     bits [0x2]: 16
>     formats [0x5]: PCM AC3
>

>When will support for 24/32 bit and 96/192KHz audio playback be
>available for this GPU?

Off-topic: For playback (not for production) of audio signals aimed for
the human ear and human brain, 16 bit 48 KHz is all you need. If you
aren't satisfied by the audio quality you get for playback at 16 bit
48 KHz, it's usually the analog domain that needs improvement first,
but indeed the digital to analog converters are available in different
qualities, too, so you also might need to replace them. The most weak
point in the analog chain usually are integrated (onboard) audio
devices. However, even if you own pro-sumer or professional audio
devices (PCIe/USB etc.) with very good digital to analog converters, the
analog domain of those devices still could make a big difference. Don't
expect that you gain anything regarding audio quality audible for
humans, as soon as 24/32 bit and 96/192KHz for playback are supported.
Btw. for audio productions it's better to have a higher bit resolution,
at least 24 bit and better 32 bit floating-point, but even than you
don't need a sample rate higher than 48 KHz.