Re: Microphone volume on USB soundcard very low, are there any snd_usb_audio options?

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 10:05:36 +0200, Schmidt, Christian Thorge wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I have a problem with the microphones volume being way too low
>(compared to what the same connector does under macOS) on a USB
>"soundcard". I have described the whole ordeal here (with pictures and
>system info):
>http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/299322/microphone-volume-on-usb-soundcard-very-low-snd-usb-audio-options
>
>tl:dr: A "dedicated microphone adapter", eg. a C-Media USB soundcard
>device with an XLR mic connector (Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0d8c:0008
>C-Media Electronics, Inc.) that uses snd_usb_audio yields a very low
>mic input even when fully turned "up" all the way under alsamixer.
>There's no "boost" control for the input device. The same adapter
>yields a clean and strong signal under a different OS.
>
>As always, thanks for any pointers, any help or encouraging words ;)

Hi,

are you using pulseaudio?

I don't have pulseaudio installed, perhaps pulseaudio has an additional
volume control and you need to increase this, too, by using pavucontrol
as suggested by the link you posted? Did you already tested it?

Is there a setting regarding +4 dBu / -10 dbV or something related
to a possible included microphone amp for MacOS? Does your MacOS use
a proprietary driver or like Linux a class compliant default thingy?

What is the product name? And what does
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/support say to this issue?

Regards,
Ralf