Microphone volume on USB soundcard very low, are there any snd_usb_audio options?

Hello all,

I have a problem with the microphones volume being way too low
(compared to what the same connector does under macOS) on a USB
"soundcard". I have described the whole ordeal here (with pictures and
system info):
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/299322/microphone-volume-on-usb-soundcard-very-low-snd-usb-audio-options

tl:dr: A "dedicated microphone adapter", eg. a C-Media USB soundcard
device with an XLR mic connector (Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0d8c:0008
C-Media Electronics, Inc.) that uses snd_usb_audio yields a very low
mic input even when fully turned "up" all the way under alsamixer.
There's no "boost" control for the input device. The same adapter
yields a clean and strong signal under a different OS.

As always, thanks for any pointers, any help or encouraging words ;)

Best,
 Christian.