Re: alsa.card numbers versus pulseaudio index numbers

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 09:05:05 +0200
Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> > I recently stopped using the native Intel graphics and added
> > an nvidia GTX 960 card, and now my pulseaudio "index" numbers
> > no longer match my "alsa.card" numbers, leading to great
> > confusion when trying to specify card numbers on command
> > line apps
>
> Don't use numbers but names.

I spent several hours once trying to get:

mplayer -vo gl_nosw -ao alsa:device=hw=0.1 -ac hwdts,hwac3,

to use a name instead of the hw=0 stuff and nothing I tried
was able to send sound out the optical output that
device talks to. I've actually never seen an example
anywhere on the web that describes exactly how to use
a name instead of a number showing exactly what the
number looks like first and exactly how to determine
how to change that specific number into a name given
the info in aplay -l or -L, etc.