arecord overrun, what do the numbers mean?

My system is recording from a dsnoop device.

The output is a cd/wav file, 40 minutes long.

There are occasional errors:

overrun!!! (at least 1254345987.621 ms long)

My assumption is that the buffering is insufficient to catch all the
audio all the time.

Question 1, what does the number mean?  Does it really mean 1.25 million
seconds?
(This is purely curiosity - obviously the ideal is no overruns of any size.)

Question 2, can the overrun be prevented by increasing buffer size?

Question 3, how can I find out what the default buffer size on the
system is?

Thanks for your forebearance.

Andrew