Alsa: Simultaneous recordings

I wish to record three continuous streams of audio plugged to soundcards
on a non-X Linux server.

The recordings should dat format files, nominally of 30 minutes length.
So far, so easy.

For ease of subsequent editing, there needs to be overlap of, say, 2
minutes between consecutive files.

So the problem is to source two recordings simultaneously from each Alsa
device.

This appears to work for one card if I use the default device, but if I
use the -D option to use any other device the first record process locks
out the next one.

Could someone please direct me to some documentation that will see me
through this puzzle?

Thanks,

Andrew