Xonar STX S/PDIF output

I have such a card (chipset AV200) in a 64-bit ubuntu with the recent
3.13 kernel.

I drive it directly via libsalsa.

Analogue outputs work fine, but digital output fails to lock in the DA
converter box, both optical and coax.  According to the compatibility
matrix this should work.

The optical output does not light when S/PDIF is unmuted in alsamixer;
but it does light when S/PDIF Loopback is unmuted.

Broken card or broken driver?

(I have another machine with an Xonar HDAV1.3 card; here all outputs
work and unmuting S/PDIF lights the digital output, as I would expect.)