Unable to set hw params - protocol error

Have made a 48K 16bit wav file for testing and get error msg:

stu@Server:~$ sudo aplay -D plughw:1,0 /media/Disk2/Rehab.wav
Playing WAVE '/media/Disk2/Rehab.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:1297: Unable to install hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 16
FRAME_BITS: 32
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: 48000
PERIOD_TIME: 125000
PERIOD_SIZE: 6000
PERIOD_BYTES: 24000
PERIODS: 4
BUFFER_TIME: 500000
BUFFER_SIZE: 24000
BUFFER_BYTES: 96000
TICK_TIME: 0

alsamixer gives error when I try to select xmos:

cannot load mixer controls: Protocol error

The output from the alsa info script is here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=fbc3b0551ec41aa0398a12bee53056a1acfafe32

lsusb -v  - is available at:

http://www.justvape.co.uk/LSUSB.htm

Have spent a weekend on this before I called for help, any advice would be great - specifically if this xmos board will not work then I will know - it works under windows fine.

It is the 10pin U8 xmos daughter board for chinese AK4399 dac also for the ES9018 Dac i Believe

Stu