alsa route devices and speaker maps

I've been working on a more advanced confiuration for my linux box, in
particular playing multi channel audio through two soundcards for
surround. As a starting point I've decided to try playing 5.1 audio with
back channels mixed with the front. Long time ago I've created two route
devices:

pcm.51to31 {
   type route
   slave {
     pcm "onboard"
     channels 6
   }
   ttable.5.3 1   # LFE
   ttable.4.2 1   # center
   ttable.0.0 0.8 # front left
   ttable.1.1 0.8 # front right
   ttable.2.0 0.4 # rear left
   ttable.3.1 0.4 # rear right
   hint {
     show on
     description "5.1 to 3.1 downmix"
   }
}

pcm.odd51to31 {
   type route
   slave {
     pcm "onboard"
     channels 6
   }
   ttable.3.3 1
   ttable.2.2 1
   ttable.0.0 0.8
   ttable.1.1 0.8
   ttable.4.0 0.4
   ttable.5.1 0.4
   hint {
     show on
     description "5.1 to 3.1 downmix intended for mplayer"
   }
}

This way it worked with mplayer, but as you can see I've became aware
that sometimes order of channels differs.

Today I want to use mpv, which supports alsa channel maps (a great idea,
given the problem above). Unfortunately, the above gives me mpv output
(for one of the devices):

     channel map reported by ALSA: FL FR FC LFE FL FR

I've written to the mpv author and he kindly added an option to
disregard the alsa map.

Yet, the simplest option would rather be to craft a channel map for this
device. Is it possible to force alsa to present a channel map of my
choosing for a device. Documentation seems not to permit this for route
devices.

Michał Goliński