Re: Proper syntax of "copy" plugin

Nikolay Dimitrov wrote:
> On 02/20/2015 01:35 PM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> pcm.copy_to_hw0 {
>>      type copy
>>      slave.pcm "hw:0"
>> }
>>
>> The device "copy_to_hw0" just copies everything to hw:0.
>
> Well, part of my issue is my understanding of "copying" - it's usually
> done from a source to a destination, and in this specific case I just
> fail to understand which is the source and how it's declared in the
> config.

The source is the "copy_to_hw0" device (or the application using it).

> I can give you an example why "everything" seems fuzzy to my. If I use
> a "plug" plugin to adapt audio formats to my audio device, or if I use
> "dmix" plugin to mix multiple audio streams, which exact stream will
> qualify as "everything" so it can be copied by the "copy" plugin - the
> ones before or after the mixing, or the one before or after the format
> conversion?

That depends.

Filter-type plugins like "plug" or "copy" have a 'slave' device; in the
case of playback devices, this is the destination.  Any plugin can be
the slave of another plugin.  ("hw" does not have a slave; "multi" has
multiple ones; "dmix" can only use "hw" as slave.)

Regards,
Clemens