Re: Help with RME alsa driver

At Fri, 06 Feb 2015 17:27:58 +1100,
Bruce wrote:

> >> Hi Tino,
> >>
> >> That's interesting. Great to see some confirmation at last and that I'm
> >> not suffering some sort of weird 3 year long delusion :)
> > Well, it would have been better to be reported at the right time at
> > the right place.  alsa-users ML isn't always the best place for
> > reporting regressions.  Please report it rather to alsa-devel ML.
> > And report as soon as possible you found the regression.
> Actually, I did report it to the alsa-devel list, but perhaps I wasn't
> quite as sure it was driver related then, so the message may have been a
> bit more garbled. Also a big long report on it to the RME alsa list,
> which seemed an appropriate place at the time, here:
> http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18193
> Been struggling along with Suse 10 ever since.

Posting to a forum won't reach to developers usually unless they are
really active there.  That's a quite common mistake.  User thinks as
if they reported the bug to the right place...

> >> Note I think I have *2 problems*. They may or may not be related !
> >>
> >> 1/ Somewhere between 1.0.15 and 1.0.18 aplay gave distorted/jerky/pulsed
> >> output playing a wav file on the RME. Callbacks stopped working to my
> >> own alsa application after approx 1s of playback. It could well be
> >> between 1.0.16 and 1.0.18. *Or*, your setup/somehow/ doesn't suffer 1/,
> >> but only 2/, and the problem 1/ came for me between 15 & 16 :)  Less
> >> likely, but still possible.
> > Is it with the very same hardware and is with the same kernel?
> > If the same machine but different kernel versions, rather point out
> > the working and non-working kernel versions.
> Yes, Problem 1/ was tested on the same physical hardware with different
> hard drives with different kernels.
> System that works  (Suse 10) with alsa 1.0.15 is 2.6.16.46-0.12-smp and
> 2.6.16.60-0.85.1-smp (Two working Suse 10 machines).
> I will find out the Suse 11 DVDs that were used for testing (no longer
> installed) and get back to you on the system kernel that didn't work. I
> know this is important, but will just take a while to rediscover.

You might find some live images to boot with old distros.  Then you
can check at least whether aplay works.

> >> 2/ On a very recently installed system with alsa 1.0.28 (alsa driver now
> >> part of kernel though?),
> > Yes, the alsa-driver version doesn't help at all for identifying the
> > code base.  Please refer to the kernel version you're using instead.
> Arch Linux kernel 3.18.5-1-ARCH with alsa user tools 1.0.28
> >
> >> the playback with aplay speeds up, and I get
> >> that weird 5 channel output thing happening. Callbacks to my alsa app
> >> cease after a very short (few ms) burst of audio).
> >> If you use "aplay --disable-resample", and attempt to play a 96k stereo
> >> wav file, it won't play and claims the only rate possible is 176.4k,
> >> which I don't /think /this particular card even supports ! (later RME
> >> cards did come with quad speed).
> >> I can't tell you if the speedup is due to the 2 channels being spread
> >> over 5, and /using up/ the samples faster, or if it's a clocking problem.
> > So this can be a mismatching hardware profile that is detected by the
> > driver.  How is your card recognized?  Is it same between the old
> > working and the latest versions?
> RME MADI_e4a032 on alsamixer v1.0.28 (Arch box)
> HDSPM MADI on alsamixer v1.0.15 (Suse 10 box)
> It does come up with a different string, but I guessed this was more to
> do with name convention changes, rather than actually different cards
> being identified !
> The cards are both identical 64 channel "HDSPe MADI". *Not* Fx version.

OK, at least the card recognition seems OK.

In anyway, this *looks* like a driver regression at some point.
Adrian, do you have any clue?

Takashi